Sunday, June 4, 2017

Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde

My book reading mojo went away for a bit. I've just been consuming newspapers and magazines but, honestly, with the world the way it is now, I started getting depressed. Pay It Foward ended up on my doorstep and was the perfect remedy for the hate and fear running around outside.

I think most, if not all, people know the concept of paying it forward. You help out someone who needs it and, instead of asking for anything in return, you ask the person to help out three people. Those three people help out three other people and so on. A movement of kindness sweeps across the world, wars are ended, enemies hug it out and everyone lives happily ever after. That's the gist, anyways.

I try to regularly do something for someone and then hope they pay the kindness forward. It's an honor system and we know how those work. But I still do it and still hope. This novel is about Trevor, a 12 year old, who gets an assignment from his teacher, Reuben St. Clair, to think about how one person can change the world and then to go out and do it. Trevor's idea was very simple. Help three people then ask them to help three more, etc. etc. Trevor does his bit but he's certain no one else has until a reporter shows up asking about the kid who got gangs to stop killing each other.

The senseless violence at the end wasn't necessary to make this an impactful book and I wish the ending had been different. The book made it's mark, without that ending. I understand there's a movie based on the book but I have not seen it, nor will I :)  Books are ALWAYS better than the movie.

Go pay it forward.



No comments: