Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Reaching Out With No Hands: Reconsidering Yoko Ono by Lisa Carver

My friend lent me this book. I'm not a Yoko Ono fan. I barely even realize Yoko exists, to be quite honest. I'm also not a big Beatles fan - I'm more of a Rolling Stones gal. I think it's ridiculous that people blamed Ono for splitting up the Beatles. If it were that easy to break up a band, then they were destined to break up.

Since she's not on my radar, I thought I'd try this book to see what she is about. I also like Lisa Carver (having read Drugs are Nice quite a while back). In the end, Ono seems unique and unapologetic. I don't think she made it on to my radar.

There were bits of this book that I completely loved, bits I rolled my eyes at Carver and declared her overreaching adoration annoying and bits that made me think about art a little differently. While I have been struggling with issues of people either disliking me or not wanting me involved in something (work-wise, personally I think people are solidly "ok" with me), I took some of the comments to heart. Ono has been, and still is, universally hated. Universally criticized and condemned. But she remains hopeful, positive and keeps creating art. She keeps pushing people to peace, even when it seems ridiculous, like explaining that if she had been Hitler's girlfriend, he would have been a peaceful, nice man. Her art is thought provoking, if people care to think about it. Her squalling and guttural noises may not qualify as music to you but they resonate with some.

All in all, Ono is unabashedly herself, regardless of the situation she is put in. And she'd like for you to be the same. Even if Ono isn't on your radar, this was an interesting read into her life.



No comments: