Friday, August 21, 2015

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I decided to actually listen to The Hobbit since I was keeping up with the movies. I downloaded a copy from my local library and turns out..... I was in for a surprise.

I kept thinking that this audio book was well done but then I realized it was an old (1979) radio show. No wonder it was so well done! Music, sound effects, actors out the ying yang.

If you listen to The Hobbit, listen to this version!

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/The_Hobbit_(1979_radio_series)

The Hobbit is an age old story about Bilbo Baggins, a little Hobbit who was quietly living his Hobbit life, when Gandalf arrives to take him on an adventure. He is employed as the burglar in a quest of dwarves to get back the dwarf fortune and mountain from Smaug the dragon. Hobbits don't normally take on such adventures, or adventures at all, but Bilbo more than handled himself and saved his new dwarf friends more than once.

We meet Gollum ("My Preciioooooouuuusssss") here as well as trolls, dragons, elves, and shapeshifters. It is truly a wonderful adventure to go on with Bilbo.




No comments: