Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

I doubt I would have picked this one on my own but since it was part of a book club....

I'm still a bit unsure about it. At first, I thought it was a ghost store (with monsters and weirdness) but then it kept getting stranger and stranger. The ending threw me as well.

Jack Peter, a little boy with Asperger's Syndrome has become agoraphobic since he almost drowned in the ocean with his friend Nick. Leaving the house is an ordeal and causes panic and seizures. Not a very good place to start for JP, let alone his parents, Tim and Holly. The parents have differing ideas on how to help JP, Tim opting for talking and therapy, Holly turning to religion.

JP only has one friend, Nick, who becomes reluctant to keep spending time with the strange boy. JP takes up drawing and strange things begin happening, such as monsters running around and bodies appearing in strange places. JP claims he is making it happen but his parents tend to ignore him. Nick seems to believe him, however, and is witness to many of these drawings come to life.

This book is much more than a ghost story. Secrets come out into the open with a most unbelievable one appearing right at the end. (Not sure I believe it yet!)


No comments: