Monday, January 12, 2015

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman

Since I read Amy Poehler's book, I wanted to finish Nick Offerman's book. Both of these caused me to start watching Parks and Recreation starting at Season 1.

I shouldn't compare the two but I am. I liked Amy's book much more and I think I know why. I was slightly disturbed by the number of times Offerman's refers to being "baked", "stoned" or just "smoking pot". I'm well aware people do this but I have never smoked pot and don't see the point. I'm usually disappointed when someone I admire admits to smoking that much.

Outside of that, however, this was a book I would keep putting down and then picking up to read. I didn't find it terribly readable in one sitting, like I did Amy's, but I was entertained. Offerman seems like a genuinely nice Midwestern guy. Plus, the detail on how he got into woodworking and the passion that is clearly behind it was great to read.

Offerman spends quite a bit of pages on his wife, Megan Mullally, who is very funny in her own right. The episodes of Parks and Rec where Tammy and Ron interact are some of the best.

This isn't a bad book to read if you like Ron Swanson, just don't expect much of the Swanson.


No comments: