Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

The final book in the Hunger Games trilogy.... spoilers abound. You've been warned.

"Do you still feel like the girl who volunteered for your sister?" she asks me. "No" I answer.


I've decided that I'm not happy with this one. I don't know what happened to Katniss or the other characters but I'm not pleased with the path they went down. One of the main reasons I enjoyed The Hunger Games so much is that Katniss Everdeen was a kickass survivor. She remained that way, for the most part, in Chasing Fire but here in Mockingjay, I wanted to slap her, repeatedly. She had no part in her fate, she ran away from everything and was acting like a petulant child through most of the story.

Obviously, being in the Hunger Games, twice, is going to have a mighty effect on a person. But I didn't expect the near complete mental breakdown Katniss was having, the constant stays in the hospital while everyone else planned a war, the many outright assertions that Katniss "isn't a thinker" or a "brain". She's basically, now, just a weapon and the face of a rebellion. Just the face, they don't really allow her to speak.

I kept reading because I really did want to see the Capitol overthrown. I'm disappointed in Gale, especially how he just left. Nothing left to say, just disappeared completely from the story with an excuse of a "fancy new job". Based on Katniss' and Gale's relationship in the first two books, I don't buy this.

Peeta's mind being hijacked was a good twist and his wanting to hurt/kill Katniss would have added something good to the plot if Katniss wasn't off hiding in a closet (!) telling herself she deserved to die.

The plot was a good one. I'm just confused and upset with the characters. Where did they go? People just don't change that drastically.

As much as I don't like movies based on books, I do love Jennifer Lawrence's portrayal of Katniss. I'm actually hoping that they change Mockingjay enough to let her continue to be the strong role model she should be. And leave the literary Katniss in the closet, hiding.

No comments: