Wednesday, July 31, 2013

An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

I've had this book on my iPod for ages. I don't have a clear reason why I kept skipping over it to listen to other books. I finally decided to give it a go since, for a week, I had a longer commute than normal.

I couldn't stop listening to this story....

It's just a basic story, set in the art world of NY, which Martin knows a great deal about. We mostly revolve around Lacey Yeager and her conquests of everything from men to the art world. She is not someone I would want to know personally and through the book we discover more about her that would make the reader happy when setbacks happen to her.

The book is "written" by her friend, who is an art writer, and details Lacey's rise from the 90's through today through the art world, beginning at Sotheby's. We never get clear details on some "mishaps" in the beginning but they are revealed later. There's no mystery, no murder, no anything really. Just an intriguing story that reels you in and educates you a bit about the art world.

No comments: