Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

This didn't turn out like I thought it was going to be.

I suppose I was expecting more.... plot and less romance between a vampire and witch. I choose not to read up on anything about this book before I tackled the 24+ hours of it from Audible.com. So with the positives, I really enjoyed the narrator, she was quite good.

I was ok going into this book because the (sub)plot of the bewitched manuscript and Diana Bishop being threatened for it. But enter Matthew Clairmont, vampire scientist/doctor. I was still alright with that for a bit. I was pretty much fine when the plot became the subplot and the romance got the spotlight (I do not read romance, nor do I want to).

I started cringing though because of Diana. She was a petulant child. I felt that most of what came out of her mouth (with some literal foot stomping) just sounded like a whiny brat. I cringe harder when Matthew kept calling her brave and a lioness. I wanted to slap the crap out of her.

This is the part that I have trouble with, the whiny adult falling in love with a "big strong man" who constantly picks her up and carries her. UGH.

I did like a lot of the other characters, however, and might read the rest of the trilogy for them. Miriam, for example, speaks like I do. Blunt, to the point, deal with it. Marcus, Matthew's son, could have a grand role to play in the next book as well as Sara and Em, Diana's aunt and her partner. Loved them, loved the ghosts in the Bishop house and Sophie and Nathaniel. So how did I end up hating Diana SO much?

Ah well...

No comments: