Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I heard about this in a roundabout way. Books on the Nightstand (again!) did a podcast on what was on their nightstands to read. Another book by John Boyne was mentioned but this one was also referenced. The library had this one so there I had it.

I read this fairly quick as it's pretty small (200+ pages) and .... speechless. I never saw the movie and I went into this book cold, no looking up plot or reviews or anything.

It's set in Holocaust time and our young protagonist is Bruno. He's 8 and his dad is in the German military and high ranking. Bruno is horribly upset when they have to move because The Fury promoted his dad. It took me a second with the wording because Bruno IS just a child. They move to Out-with and, outside Bruno's new bedroom window, is a fence with a lot of people behind it.

While exploring, Bruno comes upon a little boy, about his age, wearing striped pajamas on the other side of the fence.

At first, it was a touching story, and then it just punched me in the heart. Kudos, Boyne.

No comments: