Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Face of Death by Cody McFadyen

This is the 2nd in the Smokey Barrett series. As captivated as I was by Shadow Man, I just didn't feel the same pull with this one. While it was still very good, and I did read it within a day, I don't think it was as exciting.

I believe the reason is because the newest serial killer focused on someone else out of Smokey's team. A young girl named Sarah. And honestly, I didn't believe Sarah was a great character. Sad, yes. Pitiful, yep. But not someone I really was interested in.

Someone has been following Sarah since she was 6, killing off everyone that she loves. Smokey's team gets involved when, after the latest round of killings, Sarah requests Smokey by name.

It all ends up a little complex, pulling in a child-trafficking case from eons prior.

This is still a decent mystery/thriller all on it's own. I just miss the fast-paced excitement from the first book.

No comments: