Sunday, October 19, 2008

Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

I snagged an Advanced Reading Copy of this book, the start of the Phoenix Chronicles. The book centers on Elizabeth Phoenix, a psychic cop-turned-bartender-turned-seer. Elizabeth, along with Jimmy, a fellow orphan and Elizabeth's first love, and Sawyer, an ancient Navajo know it all, are out to lead the fight against the supernatural evil.

All in all, this wasn't a bad novel and I'll be interested in what the rest of the series brings. However, I think this bordered to much on the Anita Blake type plots, all the way down to the sex sex and wait...more sex. The author admits on the back cover that she wanted to write like Laurell K. Hamilton, I just think it's a little to much like her. I ended up skipping all the many sex scenes, trying to find the fight against evil scenes. Apparently, sex is part of the fight against evil.

Ah well. I do want to see if this series improves and if it can wrench itself away from ... SEX!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew that there was a reason why I wanted to have sex. It keeps the Devil at bay.

Groovy, baby.