Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison


I was listening to B&N's Meet the Writers podcasts and Kim Harrison was interviewed. Never heard of her before so I figured I'd give it a listen.

Now I'm a huge fan of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series. Anything supernatural where the characters are, for lack of a better word, human. Funny and flawed. The more I listened to Kim talking about Rachel Morgan, the happier I got.

Rachel is a witch. Her friends include a pixie named Jenks and a vampire named Ivy. In their world, there is a place called the Hollows where all 3 live in a church. The rest of the supernatural beings also live and work there. Supernaturals live among the humans because of a bioengineered tomato that wiped out a lot of the human race. Does this all make sense? I'm still sorting it out. I think I keep mixing up Anita's world with Harry's world now with Rachel's world.

Rachel quits her job at the IS and suddenly has a death threat on her head from her company (how awful would that be if that happened in real life?? ick). This novel races through with Rachel as she tries to avoid all the assassins and get her death threat removed. Encounters with demons, vampires, fairies and weres are heavy throughout the book. It really does race along .. honest.

I will definitely be reading the remaining books in the series. Jenks has to be my new favorite character.

No comments: